When your baby is younger than six months it is important to keep him out of direct sun, especially when the sun is strongest, between 11 am to 3 pm. When your baby is older you can let him play outside. But try to keep him in the shade if it si possible.
Anyway, if your baby has to be outside under the sun, make sure that he is well protected. Appart from dress him properly you must put sunscreen on his skin.
It is important to get your baby into the habit of sun protection in order to help keeping his skin healthy as he grows up. Children copy those around them and learn by imitation so if parents adopt sun protection behaviours, their children are more likely to do the same.
Parents should choose sunscreen creams or sprays especially made for babies because they are formulated for young skin and are safe to use it. The Sun Protection Factor (SPF) must be at least 30 against UVB rays.
It is also important to use a broad spectrum brand that offers UVA and UVB protection. Look for a 4 or 5 star rating within a UVA circle logo.
Sunscreen must be applied to any area of your baby’s skin that is not covered up by clothes. Don’t forget to apply it on hands and feet, and the back of his neck and ears.
If possible, put the sunscreen on your baby 15 minutes before he goes outdoor. Reapply it at least every couple of hours. If he has played in water reapply it after that even if the sunscreen is waterproof. Some water resistant products may only protect your baby’s skin for up to 40 minutes of water play. There are other products that may protect for up to 80 minutes.
Try to find a sunscreen product that you find quick and easy to use because if it is easy for you, you’ll be more likely to use it.
Don’t use your sunscreen after the expire date or within the time recommended on the label once it has been opened because ingredients may not work well.
Before applying a sunscreen for the first time you must test it on a small area of his skin. You must test it also if you are going to use a new sunscreen. If your baby has a sensitive skin, check ingredients list for anything you know that can cause irritation or an allergic reaction to him. As with all products, the use should cease immediately and medical attention should be sought if any unusual reaction is observed. Professional assessment and testing by a dermatologist may be useful in identifying the ingredient in the sunscreen that is causing the reaction
Sunscreen tips summary
- Use an SPF30 or higher broad-spectrum, water- resistant sunscreen.
- Try to apply sunscreen about 20 minutes before your child goes outside. 20 minutes will give time to bind to the skin. Reapply every two hours or every 40 minutes if he is playing in water.
- Sunscreen should never be used as the only sun protection measure or to extend time in the sun.
- 3-fluid ounce tube of baby mineral sunscreen lotion with broad spectrum SPF 50. That is sweat- and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes for superior sun protection
- An effective mineral sunscreen that has been clinically shown to be as mild as water to skin. It applies to baby’s skin easily to lock in moisture without stinging or irritating the skin.
- Specially formulated for babies and contains naturally-sourced 100% zinc oxide active ingredient, which is a widely recommended ingredient.
- Baby mineral sunscreen lotion is non-greasy and provides superior broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- Baby sunscreen formula is fragrance-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, and sweat-and water-resistant for 80 minutes and is suitable for babies and people with sensitive skin.
- Apply liberally 15 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply after 80 minutes of swimming or sweating, immediately after towel drying and at least every 2 hours. Children under 6 months of age; ask a doctor. Sun Protection Measures.
- Non-allergenic formula that is naturally gentle on skin and tear free
- Mineral- based SPF formulas provide broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection and glides on smooth for effortless application.
- Broad spectrum SPF 50 protection
- Non-allergenic and tear free. No: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano-particles